Building a new construction home in Houston is an exciting undertaking. You have the chance to create your dream home, taking advantage of modern floor plans and an almost endless number of design alternatives that will let you make the home your own.
To make the most of the experience, and to achieve the best outcome, consider the two most important things you need to do when buying new construction homes.
1. YOU NEED TO MAKE A PLAN
There are approximately 50 builders of upscale new homes in the Houston area. The options can be almost overwhelming. The biggest mistake people make when buying a new construction home in Houston is jumping into the home search without a plan and their own representation.
The Builder’s Sales Agents are Working for the Builder
- Buyers often just “drop in” to a community to get general information. The first time you visit a community without representation, you may be prevented from working with your own agent for any transaction that results from that first visit. At that point, you’ve lost a bit of control over your home search process.
- The builder’s sales agents are obligated to work for the benefit of the builder. They are knowledgeable professionals who will help you in your home search, but in terms of the contract, pricing, upgrades and more, they must work in the best interest of the builder.
- The builder’s sales agents can’t provide information about other neighborhoods that might be a better fit for you.
The Advantages of Having Your Own Representation
- There is no cost associated with having your own real estate agent to represent you.
- A professional real estate agent who specializes in the Houston new home market can help you choose a neighborhood before you choose a home.
- Your agent knows the builders and the market and can negotiate for upgrades, changes and the overall home price.
- Your agent can guide your review of purchase contracts, warranties, building specifications, covenant restrictions and more.
- Your agent is familiar with the construction process and can help you avoid the problems that new construction buyers can experience.
2. CHOOSE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD BEFORE YOU CHOOSE YOUR HOME
The second key mistake that Houston new construction home buyers make is choosing a house before a neighborhood. Your home should support your lifestyle.
Start your home search by listing the things you want in a neighborhood. For example, do you want:
- to be close to specific city amenities?
- to be within a short commute to work?
- to be in a particular school zone or near a private school of your choice?
- to live on the waterfront?
- to live in a community with resort-style amenities such as pools, trails, a golf course, clubhouse, fitness center or spas?
You can avoid the heartbreak of finding a home you love, only to realize that the environment doesn’t match your lifestyle. That’s why it’s critical to make a plan as your first priority. If you tried to visit 50 new home communities, you’d end up with such information overload, you may never be able to make a decision!
The best approach is to work with your agent to polish your list of neighborhood requirements. After that, your agent can help you narrow down your search to the communities that suit your lifestyle. That’s the time to start looking at homes.
Buying a new construction home is a more complex transaction than buying an existing home. However, your dream home can become a reality. Cityscape Brokers can assist you throughout the home buying process. Call us at 281-760-7299 or send an email for more information.
Leave a Reply